Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Let's Start This Blog Off Right!

One of my favorite parts of the early dramaturgy process is that afternoon or evening when I spend a few hours searching through YouTube.  The beginning of the process is always about gathering books and deciding what I need to look into, but it's always pretty early that I decide to spend a few hours (waste a few hours?) typing random keywords into YouTube and following wherever the sidebar of suggestions leads me.  Just typing "Chicago Musical" brings me 8,000+ videos covering the original production, the more successful and still-running revival, the 2002 movie version, national tours, the London production (and other productions around the world), and of course thousands of amateur productions. Then there's clips of Kander and Ebb on talk shows (or performing "All That Jazz"!), Tony Award performances, and major stars singing from the show.  But the clip I found below was just too wild not to throw out as the first blog post. 

I Give You...
Joel Grey performing "Razzle Dazzle" on The Muppet Show, 1976.  Grey played the Emcee in the original Broadway production of Cabaret, Kander and Ebb's earlier musical (1966) and starred in the Bob Fosse directed movie version of that show (1972).  Though Grey did not appear in the original Broadway cast of Chicago, he was in the 1996 Revival as Amos Hart.  Here's a rare chance to see him singing Billy Flynn's big number...and with Gonzo the Great no less!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment